Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Ice Breaker TT -2013



Really enjoyed the comradere of the Rooster women at this race.  Warming up chatting and getting to know Beth and of course give Emily a hard time (part of the fun of this sport I'd say).

Watching how people warm up before their race is really interesting and I'd say a huge part of the actual race day.  Today was no different, except with the weather just starting to change over to 'warmer' it was a debate on how many layers to wear.

I brought coffee again this time, and showed up a couple hours ahead of start time and glad I did.  There was a pretty long line to use the can.

The race itself I knew I was somewhat over fatigued.  It had been a tough couple weeks at work and the fatigue was cumulative for sure.  Warm up the HR wasn't responding as I'd expect and I knew that it was going to be a tough day.

At the start line I was using a borrowed set of clip on aero bars for my first "aero experience" and a borrowed TT helmet.  Would have been riding borrowed wheels, but don't have a 10 speed (thanks for the offer!).

The course was fun except for the truck that rolled past right before the official started me out, so I didn't want to get pinged for drafting and ended up waiting for him to move on.  Also, the turn around was a pain and I drifted the rear wheel for part of it having entered it a bit too hot.  The corner marshal heard me yelling at the cone "stupid friggin corner!".  No swear words so it was ok apparently, phew.

HR still didn't respond the right way, and I slowed way down at one point to catch my breath that had been evasive the entire day.  Was able to get back up to speed quick enough, and finished a half second ahead of the next masters racer for a 1st place finish in masters cat 4/5 35-39.  Could have done better in the open 4s if more rested up, but hey, it's still early season...

Tortilla soup was awesome, and met one of Roger and Austin's buddies who I've ridden with at the Bike MS 150.  Small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment