Saturday, March 1, 2014

Frostbite TT -2013



So the only other TT I've done was last year at MOE.  Don't have aero gear (yet) but know how to manage the HR pretty well. So opted to race the "Retro" category, which ended up being a field of 20 or so riders all kinds of categories,  pro,1-5.  Don't know how many folks from the higher categories were actually there though.

The course was wet, with no rain but some sprinkles that started about halfway through the day.  There were a half dozen corners, that were more concerning on paper than actually in practice.  Thank you Emily and Alex for the early heads up that they were totally rideable.

My start time was 4th from last and I really enjoyed seeing our Roosters take off, good spot for the tent right next to the start line.  

Borrowed a trainer stand (thank you Beth!) to warm up and didn't face much challenge with nerves or anything, it was almost like old hat.  Very nice when things are relaxed and mellow before the race.  Warmed up with Derek Chan who was starting :30 ahead of me in the Retro division as well.   Enjoyed the company.

Trickiest part was deciding on how many layers, as I knew that if it really started raining I'd probably be cold.  But I love these new long johns the wife got me!

The guy holding us at the start is a buddy of mine, and he commented on me winning the "Cantilever Division"... Haha, that's what friends are for I guess! Didn't even get an extra push off or anything. Oh well, next time I gotta pay him a bit more.

Managed the HR right where I expected, and really enjoyed hammering the corners, skirted some service van that was going way too slow in town and slowly picked off my 'rabbits' until I ran out.  Finished in a full sprint with the HR responding as expected.  2nd by 1 second.

Looking at my HR graph, I had a bit more capacity so should have pushed it from farther out:

No comments:

Post a Comment