Saturday, February 20, 2010

YMCA: Partners With Youth

Today was the "Cyclethon" to raise funds for the YMCA program called Partners With Youth.  I'm fundraising for this program because I was nabbed, and handed a packet. So even though I didn't 'volunteer' it dosn't matter apparently.  The funds go to disadvantaged youth, who can't afford the special events the Y hosts, such as camp Orkila, aqua events, wall climbs, and a bunch of other things.

Helping kids get into something productive vs reaching the next level in a video game?  Ok.

Well someone had the bright idea of getting 19 folks into a sweaty room on stationary bikes, and jam to loud music while getting yelled at.  For some reason this causes folks to open the pocketbook.  Who thought of this stuff?!

So today they forced me to go pedal in my favorite spinning room for 3 hours.  bummer.... Ha, yeah right! 

It was great.  Got a chance to meet a new spin instructor, as they would swap out each hour.  Also, had a chance to use up some of the old Accelerade.  Burnt through 2 bottles worth, along with 1 hammer gel.  Also, as luck would have it, one of the folks that was in the class is a chocolatier, and brought some of her delights.  I intended to bring one home to the wife, but also have poor timing, and chose a bad time to to the bathroom, as when I returned, she was gone.

All three hours were great, and even though I'm on the tailend of this cough/cold it felt great to kick it into high gear and crank.

We ended up raising over $2100 for the program, and really enjoyed ourselves!  Now I'm just going to have to hunt down some other treat for the wife on the bike ride back home from the office here...

Also, I'm going to start listing workout data at the bottom of the blogs to track:

Time: 3:00 hr
Intensity: 7 (1-10)
Distance: NA
Av HR: 143
In Zone: 2:47 hr

No comments:

Post a Comment